Thursday, January 17, 2013

Words...


“You’ll never guess what your child did today” was NOT a positive phrase that was conveyed to me as my preschooler attended classes.  In fact, those dreaded words took on life as a sword that would cut down to the depth of my already severed soul.  While other mothers received words of affirmation and praise, the words spoken to me caused me to doubt and question myself and my child.  Oh to be a young mother, unsure in your ways and then seemingly scorned by those around you.  The sickness in my heart robbed me of so much joy.  Did I need to be concerned about my child?  Absolutely.  Did I need to let it dictate my attitude towards my child and be consumed by the worry that always followed?  No, I shouldn’t have allowed it to swallow me up.   Learning to let go of the negative and look for opportunities to create positive enjoyable moments is something that has to be intentional.  It’s an exercise that takes practice when you find yourself with a child that can’t be squeezed into society’s PerfectBox.  So practice today the exercise of letting go of the negative and creating the positive.  Remember it does take practice!  And here are some words to hold onto as you get started “You are a GREAT MOM and you have a GREAT CHILD!”

No comments:

Post a Comment